Anime Weekend Atlanta

A Festival of Japanese Animation and Manga
It is currently Sun 25 Jan 2015 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr 2010 6:46 am 
Director
Director

Why we don't allow Skits or have a separate event for them (taken from earlier posts):
Quote:
For us, it's just not worth the trouble. That's the honest answer. We got really tired of a four hour contest with only 50 or so entries. The quality of the costumes was getting lower and lower while the skits were getting longer and harder to understand. When it degenerated into huge fight filled skits with random characters and no plot it had to stop. Sitting through hours of amateur dramatics for one or two laughs wasn't what the audience or (any of the staff) wanted.

The one year we tried a skit only separate event, the audience left after 15 minutes. The "return on investment" just isn't there. We don't have the time or staff to run another huge contest or pre-screen skits to make sure we have something the audience would really enjoy.

It's a Costume Contest, not a talent show. Our Judges are award winning cosplayers or fashion/theatrical professionals. That's because we care about the quality of the work that goes into the costumes being entered. Winning an award at AWA means something because the competition is tough, not because the judges felt you got the biggest laugh or recognized the internet meme you referenced.

AND

Quote:
But one reason that does not get touched on much is the fact that for a costume contest, the quality of the costumes was dropping. Steadily. The art of cosplay was getting lost in groups of fifteen kids trying to choreograph elaborate dance numbers or fight scenes while wearing stuff they bought on the internet, or just picked up in the Dealer's Room. Those who spent months and months working on incredibly detailed outfits were losing out to kids who spent no time at all on anything, but made the judges laugh. That's why we have award winning cosplayers as judges and not any of the industry guests. Because it's about the art and craft that goes into making the perfect costume. It's not a popularity contest. I would rather watch 120 really fantasic costumes than 20 not as great ones with dance numbers and jokes. But that's just me.

But the time/space/people issue is also a major factor. Right now we have every inch of space we can get in the Waverly and the Galleria. All of the big rooms are taken for the whole weekend. So adding another event of the same nature won't happen unless we drop something else, like Anime Hell, The Ball, or any of the concerts or dances. And that's just not happening anytime soon.

Chess (and other convention's signature events):
Unless a group brings us the event that they run elsewhere, we will not be creating our own versions of events created/run by other groups. Why? Because we prefer to do our own thing. Cosplay Chess is something that takes an incredible amount of planning, dedication and rehearsal time. A: We don't have anyone willing to coordinate that kind of effort. B: We have no time or space for that kind of event. C: Our insurance does not allow for that type of staged combat.

Popular Japanese Musical Artists:
We are simply fans of Japanese Animation who want to share our enthusiasm with other fans. Running musical events is slightly outside our stated goals. We do book bands that we know are touring and can fit our schedule, but we are not concert promoters. That means we don't deal with major record companies and all the hassles that brings to the table. We cannot provide the level of support a major act requires for a booking. Other conventions have them, but also either do want to be concert promoters or have resources far beyond ours which allows for the possibility. Remember we only have 11,000 total attendees. Not everyone would want to see Gackt, and the costs of bringing him, entourage, equipment, promotion, etc. would far outstrip the number of tickets we could sell for that one performance. In the end we would lose a lot of money and the rest of AWA would suffer the consequences.

I want to participate in event "X", why don't you do one?:
Mainly because it takes someone on our side who wants to have "X" happen. Just having a few people say they want to watch an event is not enough for us to get it rolling. And idea is not enough, someone has to RUN the event. AWA does not happen just because we print something in the program book. It takes a lot of planning and preparation from dedicated panelists and staffers months before the show. It also needs to have the proper room/space available. Then it requires the amount of time on the schedule. If we don't have all three of those things working together, an event can't happen. Unless there is someone willing to put in the time to make an event happen, there really is not a chance for it to get on the schedule. We already have over eight rooms of programming that are filling up quickly. For the staff to have any time to devote to a new event, either something existing has to go or we need a lot more people willing to put in the work and time to make things happen. As it stands we barely have enough staff to help run the current schedule, much less add anything else that requires a lot of preparation or on site management. That's a BIG HINT for those upset that we won't run something they want to see. Join us and then you can try and make it happen from the inside. That's a WIN/WIN for everyone.

I will leave this open for comments for now, but reserve the right to lock it later if needed.

eventsadmin@awa-con.com

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr 2010 11:19 am 

If there wasn't a space issue and the probable schedule conflicts, I could see a possibility for cosplay skits. Honestly, I think skits would be a good change to the AWA environment but I can see why it hasn't taken shape since its last appearance.

Heck, if I lived closer (I'm sure I will within the next couple of years) I'd try my hardest to find some way to bring skits back, even if I were to gather a skit "mob" and help orchestrate the whole thing. Then again, it all goes back to the space issues. I wouldn't want the convention to risk losing some of the popular events.

It sounds like there are a lot of things to work out, even if someone were to step in to help. Goodness.

Just know that there is someone out here, hoping to bring skits back to its glory. ;)

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr 2010 3:09 pm 

stina-wo wrote:
If there wasn't a space issue and the probable schedule conflicts, I could see a possibility for cosplay skits. Honestly, I think skits would be a good change to the AWA environment but I can see why it hasn't taken shape since its last appearance.

Heck, if I lived closer (I'm sure I will within the next couple of years) I'd try my hardest to find some way to bring skits back, even if I were to gather a skit "mob" and help orchestrate the whole thing. Then again, it all goes back to the space issues. I wouldn't want the convention to risk losing some of the popular events.

It sounds like there are a lot of things to work out, even if someone were to step in to help. Goodness.

Just know that there is someone out here, hoping to bring skits back to its glory. ;)

I love skits and I live pretty close (only a 20 minute drive to the Waverly hotel). I could potentially try to organize such an event, but I would definitely need help in putting it together. Of course I don't know what I can do with limited space. I've only been to AWA once last year so I haven't been able to really get an idea of how much space is available (although my first impression is the location seems good to me).

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr 2010 5:54 pm 
Director
Director

I appreciate the offers, but for the time being it's just not on the table. It's going to take someone with years of experience running such a thing at other shows to convince us that it's worth adding to the schedule. We would not want to go right back to the days of a five hour, two laugh cringefest. If you are truly interested in helping us run any kind of an event (not just something skit related) I would recommend joining us on Staff (see our Staffing page for details). Working with us on other events will give you a much better feel for what it takes to run something of that scale. That and we can always use more smiling faces!

eventsadmin@awa-con.com

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010 11:23 pm 

I have to say . I love the way AWA cospaly contest are . I always wondered at other cons why they did skits that greatly limited just how many cos players would be in the contest. Seemed a bit weird to lose the number cosplayer for a side show ...

I agree 100% . Im there to see cos-plays not a dinner theater show lol.

Contact using link below

https://www.facebook.com/KameHouseCosplay

PostPosted: Wed 15 Sep 2010 6:33 am 

I love cosplay skits, but I agree completely, especially after you explained why. I never knew why AWA never held cosplay skits but now I do and I totally respect the decision. Thanks for explaining to for me! ^w^ I'm cool about it! :D Besides, the costume contest is pretty epic by itself!

-FFVII/Yuffie 5%
Saturday:
-KH:BBS/Aqua 5%
-FMA/Edward Elric 95%
-Death Note/Mello 10%
Sunday:
-Soul Eater/Black Star 5%

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan 2011 7:38 am 

Thank you SO MUCH for having the view you do on skits.

Please keep skits out of AWA and stick with actual Costume contests.

PostPosted: Mon 02 May 2011 2:29 pm 

I'm sorry, but if a group wants to act, they should run an in-character panel. ;3

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011 7:11 pm 

Well, I guess the skits part is kind of invalid now since AWA is allowing open skits, right?

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2011 7:37 pm 
Director
Director

The main points are still valid since the skits are not a part of the contest. We are trying another skit event. It may work, it may not. We are willing to experiment with the room and time, but will not be adding them back to the contest.

eventsadmin@awa-con.com

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug 2011 8:46 pm 

I completely understand what you mean by the costumes looking worse and worse but it's still not fair. Most of us live here in Georgia and can't afford to go to another state just to do a cosplay skit or post one up on youtube (because someone might steal our idea).Also, I don't think that there is another anime convention in Georgia that does cosplay skits (correct me if I am wrong). Other conventions do it and to tell you the truth, they come up with some really funny skits, not to mention that the costumes look good too. Maybe you could ask each skit to send in a picture of them in their costumes beforehand with their form along with a summary of their skit and then judge whether or not they can appear. Hope this helps for next year.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011 12:03 am 

watercolos wrote:
I completely understand what you mean by the costumes looking worse and worse but it's still not fair. Most of us live here in Georgia and can't afford to go to another state just to do a cosplay skit or post one up on youtube (because someone might steal our idea).Also, I don't think that there is another anime convention in Georgia that does cosplay skits (correct me if I am wrong). Other conventions do it and to tell you the truth, they come up with some really funny skits, not to mention that the costumes look good too. Maybe you could ask each skit to send in a picture of them in their costumes beforehand with their form along with a summary of their skit and then judge whether or not they can appear. Hope this helps for next year.

I agree with this person. I live in SC and AWA is the only convention I get to go two, I LOVE watching skits from other cons on youtube and would love for it to be done in a prequalified format (maybe even list the skit info on the site?) instead of the current formay of wondering what the heck you will see if you go over there.

Thursday: Fandom clothes, maybe catgirl

Rest of Weekend: Castiel

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011 12:20 am 

Kaylachan<(^_^)> wrote:
...I LOVE watching skits from other cons on youtube and would love for it to be done in a prequalified format (maybe even list the skit info on the site?) instead of the current formay of wondering what the heck you will see if you go over there.
The problem with a separate format is that someone or a group of people with both skill and experience with skits would need to read through hundreds or thousands of written scripts or videos and pick a handful of groups to perform their skits. I doubt the manpower is available for something like that. Keep in mind that out of the few good skit videos you saw on youtube, there are probably thousands of skits that are god awful.

The Theory of Relativity is so romantic... and so sad." - Steins;Gate

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011 11:09 am 
Director
Director

I can't understand what is unfair about the skit situation at AWA - there is now a skit event. Skit away, skitters. Skit like crazy. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14084

Additionally, those wishing to perform their hilarious amateur theatricals at other Georgia-based conventions may do so at Momocon http://momocon.moonfruit.com/ and at Seishuncon http://www.seishun-con.com/joomla/, both of which are based in the Atlanta area. Heck, Momocon is still free, right? South Carolina: can't help you there. Time for the locals to get the ball rolling on their own convention, seems to me.

As Bongu-san mentioned, the trouble with having pre-juried skits is that some poor somebody has to physically endure all the submitted entries. Not just the really funny ones with the great costumes, ALL of them, including the terrible incomprehensible skits that make you embarrassed for everybody involved. This situation not only takes up valuable time that could be used in preparation for other, less painful AWA events, but it takes away staffers who already have their own duties to perform.

If we had five or ten AWA staffers who came forward and volunteered to sacrifice themselves on the altar of skits, that would be different. Or perhaps some of the more vocal skit proponents among AWA's attendees may decide to join AWA staff and make skits happen. We'll see how AWA's skit event this year goes and judge accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Aug 2011 1:46 pm 

Bongu-san wrote:
Kaylachan<(^_^)> wrote:
...I LOVE watching skits from other cons on youtube and would love for it to be done in a prequalified format (maybe even list the skit info on the site?) instead of the current formay of wondering what the heck you will see if you go over there.
The problem with a separate format is that someone or a group of people with both skill and experience with skits would need to read through hundreds or thousands of written scripts or videos and pick a handful of groups to perform their skits. I doubt the manpower is available for something like that. Keep in mind that out of the few good skit videos you saw on youtube, there are probably thousands of skits that are god awful.

And the screening process would stop those bad ones....

DaveMerrill wrote:
I can't understand what is unfair about the skit situation at AWA - there is now a skit event. Skit away, skitters. Skit like crazy. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14084

Additionally, those wishing to perform their hilarious amateur theatricals at other Georgia-based conventions may do so at Momocon http://momocon.moonfruit.com/ and at Seishuncon http://www.seishun-con.com/joomla/, both of which are based in the Atlanta area. Heck, Momocon is still free, right? South Carolina: can't help you there. Time for the locals to get the ball rolling on their own convention, seems to me.

As Bongu-san mentioned, the trouble with having pre-juried skits is that some poor somebody has to physically endure all the submitted entries. Not just the really funny ones with the great costumes, ALL of them, including the terrible incomprehensible skits that make you embarrassed for everybody involved. This situation not only takes up valuable time that could be used in preparation for other, less painful AWA events, but it takes away staffers who already have their own duties to perform.

If we had five or ten AWA staffers who came forward and volunteered to sacrifice themselves on the altar of skits, that would be different. Or perhaps some of the more vocal skit proponents among AWA's attendees may decide to join AWA staff and make skits happen. We'll see how AWA's skit event this year goes and judge accordingly.

I wouldn't call it unfair at all, it's just that those of us who want to watch the skits don't want to go sit for 6 hours and wait for maybe two skits that stink and are unrehearsed.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably head that way if I have time between the things I normally do at the con, and really do think it's awesome you guys are compromising and giving us this much.

And darn it, I wwished I lived in Georgia or had my own car, I would so sign up to help do a staff thing to look over it.

Thursday: Fandom clothes, maybe catgirl

Rest of Weekend: Castiel

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2011 1:03 pm 

I went to this convention in kentucky awhile back. They had this turn based larp rpg where they'd pick random cosplayers and they'd fight it out! It was fun, and there was a line you couldn't cross so no one got even close to getting hurt. I forgot what it was called but it was fun. I doubt we could do it though...

I know otakon has an anime larp and gen-con has that live action d&d. I wished we could have something cool like that. Totally unique to AWA. I love interactive stuff. Maybe a ninja warrior, but it'll be Cosplay Warrior!

Just throwin it out there...

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2011 1:14 pm 
Director
Director

saintswordsman wrote:
I went to this convention in kentucky awhile back. They had this turn based larp rpg where they'd pick random cosplayers and they'd fight it out! It was fun, and there was a line you couldn't cross so no one got even close to getting hurt. I forgot what it was called but it was fun. I doubt we could do it though...

I know otakon has an anime larp and gen-con has that live action d&d. I wished we could have something cool like that. Totally unique to AWA. I love interactive stuff. Maybe a ninja warrior, but it'll be Cosplay Warrior!

Just throwin it out there...

Not really going to happen at AWA. The LARPers caused enough issues at earlier AWAs that they burned that bridge a long time ago. There is also the scale issue. Something that may work at a show with 1,000 or less people won't necessarily scale up to 13,000. Finding space for you to do your thing that does not impede everyone else would be the big issue. We have enough problems with people stopping everything to take a picture. Blocking traffic for a rock, paper, scissors fight is just as bad.

I like the interactive stuff too, but we have to work within our constraints.

eventsadmin@awa-con.com

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011 8:16 am 

I figured as much. I didn't know you guys did the larp either. I've only been to this convention the last two years. They should expand the waverly so we can do more stuff...just kidding. I'd love to be on a creative team to try to set up something really fun and interactive. And if you need manpower, I could acquire free slave labor.

It'd take a lot of time and effort and a little bit of space...but I'd love to be able to do a live action yugioh duel with anime characters as the duel monsters. Volunteers would be needed to act the role of the monster. Whoever volunteered as that character, I would draw the card and make the effects. Then, set up the field which would be a 4x7 rectangle field. Have some other helpers to do stuff like spell and trap and field magic. And of course we should have some of the yugioh monsters too. But do you think that could be possible? There'd be no hitting of others...

People can take turns dueling. I'd set the life points lower too so the games will go faster.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug 2011 11:30 am 
Director
Director

Still it all comes down to the same three things that all events have to have: Time, Space, and Staff. There are only so many hours over the weekend, and most of those are already booked solid with certain events we have every year. We have a limited amount of large space available (even less open space with no chairs in the way). There has to be enough staff and volunteers willing to spend the time and effort to run the event. Those are the three major things. There are a thousand other details that all have to be attended to as well. While it sounds neat, we also have the balance the number of potential attendees against the amount of time and effort it takes to run the event. How many people would actually want to watch other people playing a game for an hour? 1000? 100? 10? That's where "Return on Investment" enters the equation. If there isn't enough of an audience (or the demand in the first place), then it's not worth it for us to make too much of an effort to stage the event. This sounds like it falls right back into the Chess territory: you would need the same amount of space, number of volunteers, amount of rehearsal time, etc.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on the idea, but the logistics of staging something like that at a show of our size tends to make it less attractive from our end.

eventsadmin@awa-con.com

PostPosted: Tue 30 Aug 2011 12:01 am 

It's cool. I understand. Not much Yugioh fanatics at the con. Not much of active people who like interactive stuff either. The last two times I went, it's been pretty steady. I do love what you guys plan, but at some intervals it just bleahs. Not there's anything wrong with that since I use that time to recharge. Too bad no one else will voice their opinion. Skits are fun...but I'd rather do that at home and video tape it. It'd be cool if I could make an awesome movie with all the great cosplayers there, but I don't think they'd be as random as me. Finding spontaneous people is hard...Likes can usually sense the other...But I never could sense another spontaneous person...

I look forward to what you guys plan this year! Yippee!

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 11:46 am 

just wondering on the topic of the skits: were are the rules and guild lines for this event?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 12:56 pm 
Director
Director

We will publish the full rules closer to the show, but the basics apply:
No stage combat, no pyrotechnics, no glitter/confetti/messes. Leave the stage as you found it.
3 minutes or less. Please.
There will be a tech on hand to play whatever cd you bring, but can't do any fancy audio or lighting cues.
Limit of 10 people on stage at a time.

eventsadmin@awa-con.com